Aladdin


Christina with Aladdin & Jasmine


Click here for mood music

A couple of weeks ago I bought the newly released DVD version of Disney's Aladdin for my daughter. She's since seen it several times, but I hadn't a chance to view it with her until last night. I'd only seen the original release in theatres years ago when I took my nephew. Quite a good show, as I recalled.

Either way, after T-ball last night, we had some dinner, got in our PJ's, brushed our teeth, read a story, then snuggled up together in bed to watch Aladdin.

There's a scene in the opening fifteen minutes (true to form, I fell asleep half an hour into the film!) in which a prince calls Aladdin insignificant and worthless. Afterwards our hero is visibly upset and somewhat depressed.

As is her manner, my daughter went right ahead and explained these matters to me. She said the following: "He tried to tell him he's nobody, but he thinks he's someone."

I stared at her blankly for a moment. I don't know if it's because I'm out of touch with today's children or if it's because I'm not particularly bright, but it struck me as such an insightful thing to say, for a girl who won't turn five until next year. In fact, I don't think I could have summed up what was happening any better myself.

I'm constantly being pleasantly shocked by my daughter's brilliance. Oh, I know she's no smarter than other kids her age, but dammit, I am amazed by the level of intelligence she challenges me with.

What a privilege it is to be a father!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ipod

A red rose for Claudia

We're getting older...